- Bucharest University – Law Faculty (1999, Magna Cum Laudae)
Sorin is the Managing Partner of S&A and a member in good standing of the Bucharest Bar. Sorin heads the Dispute Resolution, TMT, Procurement Law and Tax Practice Areas of the Firm.
As one of the founding partners of S&A, Sorin has essentially contributed to the Law Firm’s development and the currently held top level international professional positions, by handling some of the most complex litigation cases of the firm’s history.
Examples of Dispute Resolution cases:
- Represented world leading pharmaceutical company and its Romanian subsidiary in a series of inter-connected procedures in total worth of approx. 355 M Euro, including one major insolvency procedure of one of the biggest Romanian drug distributors, with all the related insolvency procedure claims.
- Represented the largest Romanian animal by-product neutralization company in a highly complex dispute against the Romanian State represented by the Ministry of Agriculture and the State Domains Agency, whereby the Client attempts to obtain full compensation for 52 M Euro damages generated by the unilateral abrogation of state aid in its field of activity (neutralization of animal waste) in which the Client was the sole national concessionaire.
- Represented the Romanian subsidiary of a major international private energy company against several participants at a 27 M Euro public tender (for the implementation of a pilot system in Romania, related to smart metering for electricity supply) organized by the Client as contracting authority, both in front of the judicial courts and in front of the National Council for Solving Complaints (RO: CNSC).
Examples of legal consultancy cases:
- Assisted the Romanian subsidiary of a major international private energy company throughout public acquisition (procurement) procedures with over 100 M Euro total value, as external legal expert, with regard to highly complex procurement law aspects of the procedures.
- Assisted for regulatory and compliance purposes (from Romanian and EU law perspective) the world’s leading tobacco producer and wholesale distributor with regard to placing on the Romanian market of new, innovative tobacco products, that do not burn (heat not burn products) developed by the Client.
- Assisted a world leading Japanese electronic equipment manufacturer and distributor with a 1.2 M Euro sale contract with a Romanian customer, related to a highly complex, custom made, technological equipment.
- Assisted a famous multinational corporation acting in the field of sweets with regard to compliance issues related to the packaging waste reporting obligations to the Environmental Fund Administration.
- Assisted Romanian subsidiary of a multinational computer technology corporation based in California, USA, with regard to the negotiations with the landlord for the conclusion of the headquarters lease agreement of the Romanian subsidiary.
- Assisted for regulatory and compliance purposes a German based media and publicity group, with regard to issues of copyright, IP, contract, commercial and fiscal related problems.
- Selected in the Chambers Global 2017 in the field of Dispute Resolution.
- Selected in the Chambers Europe 2017 in the area of Dispute Resolution.
- Selected among the Best Lawyers in Romania 2016-17 in the field of litigations
- Selected in the Chambers Europe 2016 in the area of Dispute Resolution.
- Selected in the Chambers Global 2016 în the Corporate/M&A category.
- Selected in the Chambers Europe 2015 in the area of Dispute Resolution and CorporateM/A.
- Recommended by the Media Law International 2015 legal directory for the next specialized legal activities: legal advice on television production, contracts and television formats for one of the major television production companies, as well as legal assistance in dispute resolution cases for one of the most important television stations in Romania.
- Selected in the Chambers Global 2014 in the field of Dispute Resolution.
- Selected in the Chambers Europe 2014 in the area of Dispute Resolution and Corporate M/A.
- Selected in the Media Law International 2014 in the field of IT, Telecommunications and Media.
- Selected in the Chambers Global 2013 in the field of Dispute Resolution.
- Selected in the Chambers Europe 2013 in the area of Dispute Resolution.
- Recommended by the Legal 500 EMEA 2013, regarding its Dispute Resolution practice, IT, telecoms and media practice area.
- Designated Litigation Lawyer of the Year in Romania by Corporate INTL Magazine in 2011.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships:
- Bucharest Bar (2000 to date)
- East Legal Team E.E.I.G. (2008 to date)
- Global Business Lawyers (GBL) Alliance (2017 to date)
- American Chamber of Commerce in Romania (2014 to date)
- Netherlands Romanian Chamber of Commerce (2014 to date)
- International Association of Managing Partners (IAMP) (2016 to date)
- The right to free speech vs. the right to private life. What comes first? published on October 20, 2015 in Business24.ro.
- Cost-volume contract regulations take effect în România în Q1 2015- published în PMR Pharma & Healthcare Insight: Central Europe, Issue No. 10 (147), on 13.05.2015.
- Whistleblowing: legal situation in Romania
- Consumer Protection in Romania
- Main European Union legislation on consumer protection
- Important laws passed by Romanian government în H1 2014 pertaining to healthcare services- published in Central Europe Pharma News.
- Further reform of Romanian healthcare system expected in 2014- published on April 2nd, 2014, in the PMR biweekly news review Central Europe Pharma News (Issue No. 7)
- New legislation with impact on the drug/medical equipment supply contract award, enforced at the beginning of the second quarter 2013- published on April 2013 in the PMR biweekly news review Central Europe Pharma News
- Overview of the Romanian main legislation on awarding contracts for concession of services
- Setting up and operation of a company în România – general guidelines for foreign investors